So you’ve decided you want to become a digital nomad. Congratulations! Taking the plunge and deciding to work remotely is a big decision, but it’s one that comes with a lot of perks. One of the best things about being a digital nomad is that you get to choose where in the world you want to live and work. And if you play your cards right, you can even find countries that are specifically tailored to digital nomads like yourself. Costa Rica is a popular destination for digital nomads due to various reasons. This post will give you a walkthrough on how to apply for a digital nomad visa in Costa Rica.
Digital Nomad Visa in Costa Rica
A digital nomad visa is a special type of visa that allows people who work online to live in Costa Rica for up to two years.
In recent years, Costa Rica has become a popular destination for digital nomads thanks to its abundant natural beauty, friendly locals, and relatively stable political climate. What’s more, the Costa Rican government has made it easy for digital nomads to live and work in the country with its new digital nomad visa program. In this post, we’ll walk you through the process of applying for a digital nomad visa in Costa Rica so that you can start planning your move.
Requirements for Applying for a Digital Nomad Visa in Costa Rica
In order to apply for a digital nomad visa in Costa Rica, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:
- You must have a minimum monthly income of at least $3,000 per person, and $5,000 if you want to bring your family with you (you can combine your own and your spouse’s income to show a monthly $5,000 income).
- You must not be engaged in business with a company registered in Costa Rica
- You must have health insurance that covers you internationally
- You must prove that you have enough money to support yourself while you’re in Costa Rica (this can be in the form of saved-up funds, proof of income, or both)
- You must have no criminal record
- You must be able to show that you’re employed or have some source of income online (this can be in the form of freelancing gigs, online contracts, etc.)
- You must be under the age of 30 (this requirement may change in the future)
Collecting all of these items before you apply can help make the process go smoothly and help ensure that your application is approved quickly. Now let’s take a look at how to actually apply for the visa.
Step-by-Step Guide to Apply for a Digital Nomad Visa in Costa Rica
The process of applying for a digital nomad visa in Costa Rica might seem daunting, but have no fear! This step-by-step guide will make it easy for you.
- Fill out the online form
Visit the official website and fill out the visa application form online.
- Gather all required documents
Make sure to gather and include all of the required information and documents.
- Pay fees
Submit your completed application form, along with the required fee i.e. $100 as a government fee, $90 as a processing fee, and depending on your location, an additional fee will be charged once the visa is issued.
- Wait for a reply
Wait for an answer from the Costa Rican embassy regarding your visa application.
What is the Processing Time for this Visa?
Once you apply, you will most likely receive an answer from the embassy within 15 days.
If your application is successful, you will receive a list of documents that you must submit within 8 days of receiving the email. After submission of these documents, you will have to wait another 15 days for a definitive answer. If your visa is approved, you will have 3 months to apply for residency in Costa Rica. Failing to do so will result in the revocation of your approved visa.
For How Long is the Visa Valid?
The Costa Rican digital nomad visa is valid for 1 year but you can apply for an extension for another year as soon as your 1 year is up; however, you must prove that you stayed in Costa Rica consecutively for 80 days.
The process for applying for a digital nomad visa in Costa Rica is pretty straightforward as long as you make sure to collect all of the necessary documents beforehand. Once you have everything in order, simply fill out the online application form along with the required documents and you’re done! In most cases, you’ll receive a response within a few weeks letting you know whether or not your request has been approved. So what are you waiting for? Start planning your move today!
Did you enjoy reading this article? Here are some more articles that you might like:
- Top Countries that Offer Digital Nomad Visa
- 5 Steps To Hiring Your First Virtual Assistant: The Ultimate Guide
- 10 Free SEO Tools to Help You Drive Traffic, Clicks, and Sales
- Top 10 AI Image Generators to Get the Perfect Picture Every Time - January 16, 2023
- Jasper Chat: Powerful AI Chatbot for Content Creators - December 22, 2022
- What All You Can Write with Jasper Templates - December 21, 2022